In 1901, Catholic immigrants gathered to celebrate the first mass in the East Bernard area. The roots of faith these pioneers planted continue to grow and flourish, and today more than 700 families call Holy Cross Catholic Church their parish home. When the early Czechoslovakina families settled in East Bernard, Texas, they brought with them their strong Catholic faith. These early pioneers sacrificed a great deal and realized the need to work together to ensure they would always have a sacred place to worship. That same spirit can still be found among the parish family today.
Mass was celebrated in the home of parishioners from 1901 to 1905. As their numbers grew, they decided to build a church of their own. The first mass was held in September 1905 in a little frame church. The community and the Catholic population continued to grow and the building soon became too small to accommodate their growing numbers. In 1925, the present building was dedicated.
More than 100 years later, Holy Cross Catholic Church continues to provide for the liturgical, pastoral and educational needs of the parish. A multi-generational religious education program makes it possible for parishioners of all ages to study the faith and keep current on Catholic teachings. Each new member enriches the faith community and truly reflects the Body of Christ in today's society.
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Victoria, Holy Cross offers weekday masses and four weekend masses. We invite you to come celebrate Mass with our parish family.
Rev. Donald R. Ruppert